Ray
One of the great many follies one makes in a lifetime is to trust travel agents and that too at peak times of the year like Christmas. And the two in case are Yatra and Makemytrip. I approached Make my trip for a journey to Mauritius thinking that I would be able to obtain better hotel deals clubbed together with air tickets. A price was given and a hotel was selected(at whopping rates might I add). However 1 week before our scheduled departure, the hotel was changed and in its place a lesser resort was suggested. I wasn’t happy, so I said give me the best you have in the Maldives. So we booked a 4 day/3 night package as advertised on their website.

Now, I didn’t want to book a longer vacation for two reasons – one I had to be back in India to catch my return flight to the States and didn’t want to cut it so close. Second, the Maldives is not a place where one would like to spend a week despite the fact that we were newlyweds and would appreciate any extra time.

All said and done, 4 days before our departure, we do not have any confirmation with us despite being assured of the contrary. And then we get a phone call from the agent who tells us that, they want us to purchase the 7 night package and not the 4 night one. On being asked why such pushing, they said there is no return flight from Male, and so it is better to stay there for a week. And these 3 extra days weren’t going to come at a reasonable rate either.

My hands are tied and ultimately, I have to change the place once again. And this time the arrow fell on Sri Lanka where he said he would put us up for 3 days in a luxury hotel of my choosing. After telling him of my choice, he never bothered to call us back until two days were left to our original departure. We called him about the situation.

“Almost done” had remained his constant reply to our requests from the beginning.. And yes did I forget to mention that they had already encashed a INR 60,000 check without booking even a single package.

Ultimately The Nu and I had to drive down to his office and demand our vacation. Sad but true. Honeymoon after all, who wants to screw that up? No surprises, he told us that the SL package was “almost done”. If I hadn’t stopped my wife she would have got into a heated argument with him. He was atleast grateful for that.

We finally received our confirmation and stepped out of the office. Stopping us he called us from behind,
“But Sir , 35K Rs is balance , and both of us replied in unison “it is almost there in your account” and quickly made our way out.

Makemytrip is a non-professional travel agent who never books what the customer wants but tries to push the client into unknown territories with unreasonable offers. It is like not inviting a guest but forcibly kidnapping him, telling him to sit on the broken chair and shoving last night’s leftovers down his throat. Do not go to Make my trip and Yatra for that matter. Book on your own and you will be happier for it.

Make my trip RUINS YOUR TRIP
Labels: edit post
0 Responses