Ray
Ah here is my first restaurant review which perhaps is not of much help as the only people who read my blog are a bullimic, Hitler loving German, a lazy jobless Mumbaikar who basically eats anything that moves, so reviews don't really matter and a 34 year old techie who could write the most complex of code but is completely befuddled by the jargon of his young daughter so prefers to talk to cats instead :). Perhaps the clinching point is they all live in India. I love food and anything to do with it although my tastes are restricted to all things vegetarian. Ok review for today is

Veggie Heaven

I had heard a lot about this outlet and one day finally decided to try one myself along with my Chinese neighbor. There are three branches of this restaurant - Denville, Montclair and Teaneck. Choosing the closest one in Montclair, we entered the place with a little apprehension. The decor was minimal and very Chinese in nature. Browsing through the menu, was a joke because although the restaurant was named Veggie Heaven, all dishes had pork, chicken and beef in them. Obviously that is why it is famous here in NJ, it is simulated meat. So we ordered - Shark Fin Soup, Sweet and Sour Pork chops and curried Chicken.

I have never tasted meat(with the exception of chicken) or seafood before so I had no idea what to expect. The soup arrived first and tasted pretty good with wheat gluten making up for the fins of the shark. It was priced at $7 a bowl, a real low price as compared to the real shark fin which could run close to $50 and above.

The pork chops were very tasty. Soymeat was used in place of pork and after I said that the texture of the meat was rubbery my Chinese friend said that this was the way it was supposed to be and it was pretty close to the real thing. He also said that the dish belonged to some Fuijian province in China where they cooked it with special care. I just nodded having no idea what he was saying.

The tastiest dish was definetely the curried chicken which had more than a hint of Indian spices. The meat substitute used here was Yam and the dish was extremely sumptious with the right mix of chillies and spices.

Side dishes included seaweed and dimsum which were OK.

Overall, the restaurant is very good albeit a bit pricey but would surely like to go again to try some meat oops simulated meat delicacies.

Until the next post which will be from "the Motherland", Happy Diwali to all and take very good care of yourselves.
Labels: , edit post
2 Responses
  1. Nachiket Says:

    Ok, a very nugatory question... but one I must ask nevertheless.

    Is the Hitler loving German bulimic or are they different people?


  2. Ray Says:

    hehe, no they are different people. Considering the fact that from the time I saw you and the frail architecture, I have always associated you with an eating disorder. The bulimic only applies to you and to no other German , hitler-loving or not.

    I shd have made my disclaimers before :)