Ray
“Bhaiyya mere, rakhi ke bandhan ko nibhaana”

I have heard this famous song a lot but today was probably the first time I saw the video. This was all after my sister called me from Ahmedabad during lunch hour. This is the fifth year running when I haven’t been with her on Raksha Bandhan but she unfailingly sends a rakhee every year.

People often fail to see that one’s sibling is almost always his or her first ever friend. It feels quite nostalgic when I remember those occasions when we fought over so many small things, the last significant (and rather silly since we had a second TV)one being the TV remote when she wanted to watch her beauty show while I was howling over India’s cricket match. And after every such fight, getting smacked by my dad and either being thrown out of the house or locked up in the room with no TV. It was in those moments, we used to find each other, unite together in our common sorrow in contrast to moments earlier when we were baying for each other’s blood. We would promise each other that we would stand for each other if Daddy asked who was responsible. (Obviously this was all forgotten when one's arse was in the firing line of my father's slap-happy hands.)

As we have grown into adults, our relationship has changed considerably. She went off to study in a different city while I got busy with my life. In time she got married but the real shock came when she delivered her first child. That is when I realized my sister was no more the “girl” I knew. She was now a woman with her own family and responsibilities. I felt sad and happy at the same time. Sad because there would now be no one to talk to and share my weird thoughts and happy for her because she was going to start a new life of her own. Ofcourse the compelling reason was I had the whole room to myself now. :)

In the past few years the channels of communication between us have been significantly reduced so it felt special talking to her today. As always the mundane chat was followed by some sort of advice. I have never told her how much I adore her but a time will come for that. I will always cherish this relationship.
Labels: edit post
0 Responses